History of North Haven
The early history of the Town of North Haven is recorded in the history of the colony and the Town of New Haven, of which it formed a part. As the numbers of settlers grew and wants increased, tracts of land were measured and apportioned among the planters. These tracts were called "Divisions" and the Town of North Haven lay principally in the "Third, Fourth and Fifth Divisions." North Haven became a separate and distinct town on the 19th of October, 1786, and the first town meeting was held at the Meeting House, on the second Tuesday of November, 1786. In 1714, Rev. James Pierpont gave land in his will for a meeting house, burying ground, market place, and training ground. The first brickyard on the continent was found when Theophilus Eaton found clay on his property on the west side of the Quinnipiac River. The brickyards continued to play an important role in the development and history of North Haven, well into the 20th century.
North Haven is proud to have been included in Money Magazine’s top 100 places to live in the USA in 2007. We currently have a population of 24,093 (2010), our resident’s median household income ($81, 789 in 2010) is 20% greater than state average and 62% of residents have post high school education. We are a healthy commercial, retailing, and manufacturing base which employed 12,640 people in 2011. There are more than 1,000 highly diversified manufacturing and commercial firms in North Haven, 40 of which are assessed at over $1,000,000. We have five industrial parks containing 490 acres, and boasts such corporate community members as Covidien (United States Surgical), United Aluminum, Connecticut Container, and O.F. Mossberg Firearms. We are also proud to have Quinnipiac University, Gateway Community College, and Yale-New Haven Hospital located in town.
An excellent parks system and a wide variety of housing from the modest to the magnificent make North Haven a quality place to live in –as well as do business.